Services typically include:
- Establishing the Employer's brief
- Assisting the Employer in selecting and appointing a design team including the draft of the scope of services
- Managing the Employer's design team through the various stages in the project lifecycle including reporting on and ensuring each Consultant delivers its services in accordance with its appointment
- Establishing the Employer's Requirements with definitive performance requirements and compiling tender documentation
- Managing the tender process through to appointment of the Contractor.
- Contract administration through the build period
- Reviewing design submissions and Change Proposals and commenting on their compliance with the performance specification or otherwise
- Certifying interim payments, issuing change instructions
- Chairing project team meetings
- Inspecting the works and providing periodic progress reports with month end reporting on cost, time and quality issues
- Certifying practical completion of the Works
- Carrying out and recording snagging inspections with management of completing defects through to the end of the rectification period.
- Issue of the Final Statement and Certificate
The role of the Employer's Agent is specific to the design and build form of procurement and one which closely resembles the process orientated role of the Project Manager under a variety of different procurement processes.
Perhaps the subtle distinction is the focus which is more towards maintaining and ensuring the client's interests as Employer under a Design and Build form of contract is protected whilst also allowing the Contractor and its appointed design team the opportunity to extract best value from the design while meeting the contractual performance requirements.